Guide for Foreigners Living in Neyagawa
1.In Event of Emergency
1 Contacting the Police
110 (Available 24 hours)
Say `Tasukete kudasai!`
If possible, inform them of the time, the place, and what happened. Also, give them your name, address, and contact details (phone number.)
Police Help Desk 072-823-1234

2 Fire ・Ambulance
119 (Available 24 hours)
What to Say:
They will ask: `Kaji ka kyukyu ka dochira ka`
In case of fire, say `Kaji desu.`
In case of a medical emergency, say `Kyukyusha onegaishimasu.`
  • Tell them the location of the emergency or fire, and any nearby landmarks.
  • Also let them know your address, name, and phone number.
  • In the event of fire, tell them exactly what is burning, and if people are trapped inside the structure.
  • In the event of a medical emergency, let them know what state the injured person is in (conscious or unconscious, for example.)
※Both ambulances and fire fighting are free of charge.
※If no-one present speaks Japanese, let them know over the phone that only non-Japanese speakers are present

If you wish to inquire about where injured people are taken to, contact Hirakata/Neyagawa Firefighting Association Head Office at these numbers.
Ambulance 072-852-9918
Main Fire Station 072-852-9966
Dispatch Center 072-852-9800

●Dialing 110、119 from a public pay phone
  • Can be used 24 hours a day.
  • Before lifting the receiver from the phone, find the red button covered by a plastic cover. Firmly push the button through the cover, then, you can use the phone to dial for an emergency.
  • When you call to report an emergency from a cell phone or pay phone, don`t hang up, and don`t leave the scene.

3 Gas Leak
You can call 24 hours a day.
Say: `Gasu more desu. Sugu kite kudasai.` Call from, and wait in, a location that is a safe distance away from the leak.

If Connected to City Gas, contact Osaka Gas
0120-5-19424 (Center for Reporting Gas Leaks)

If a Propane Leak Occurs,
There should be a sticker attached to the gas tank with a phone number. Dial this number to reach the appropriate company.
※If an abnormal situation exists, put the gas cap on, and open doors and windows to let the gas out. If you still notice a gas leak, ventilate the area, but under no circumstances should you use electric appliances or power.
4 Earthquake
Japan is a country where many earthquakes occur, and in the past many large earthquakes have occurred in the Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe area. Earthquakes can occur at any time so it is essential to be prepared.
● If An Earthquake Occurs
  • Act calmly and don`t rush outside; protect your body.
  • Wait for the swaying to stop.
  • If inside your house and you feel swaying, quickly dive under the table, protecting your head with a cushion.
  • If a fire breaks out, try to put it out immediately as fire services may not be able to respond.
● Earthquake Preparation
  • Securely attach cupboards, shelves and drawers to the wall to prevent them from falling over.
  • Take cover in cupboards and drawers, near walls or pillars.
  • At least 3 days` worth of food and drinking water (average 3 liters per person per day) should be prepared and stored in advance.
  • Prepare food and other items for emergencies (preserved or canned food, cookies, flashlight, etc) in an easy-to-carry bag and make it easily accessible during emergencies.
● During Major Earthquakes, Floods and Other Disasters May Occur.
Flee to the places called ~Temporary Disaster Shelters` or `Area Disaster Shelters.`
Temporary Disaster Shelter
  • Sometimes you will have to immediately flee the area due to a disaster. Where you go depends on where you live, but generally speaking `temporary disaster shelters` are located at schools or parks.
Area Disaster Shelter
  • When an earthquake occurs, make sure there are no fires nearby that need to be extinguished, and then go to a place where you can protect yourself.
  • Wide, open areas are best.
Please take the time to confirm the location of the Area Disaster Shelter for the area in which you live.
To Confirm, contact the City Office Crisis Management Center at

※Disaster Maps are available in English, Chinese, and Korean at the City Office and Citizens` Center.
5 Typhoon
The Typhoon Season in Japan runs from June to September. If a typhoon nears Japan, make sure to pay close attention to warnings from weather forecasters.
● Preparing for a Typhoon
  • Make sure the power and gas mains are cut off, and water lines and phones are disconnected.
  • Have flashlights, candles, drinking water for emergencies, and medicine prepared in advance.
  • A portable radio is most useful to check outside conditions; it is recommended that you have one.
6 Traffic Accidents
● If a Traffic Accident occurs,
  • Confirm the name, address, phone number, and license plate number of all involved.
  • Quickly get in touch with the police.110
  • In order to claim damages from the perpetrator and his/her insurance company, a `Jikou Shomeisho,` or official form regarding the accident, is required.
For accident or incident information, contact the Neyagawa Police at
7 Lost or Left Behind
● When you notice that you have lost money or an item
  • Report it to the nearest police station or police box (`koban`).
  • If you lost the item while riding a taxi, train, or in a department store, try to report it to those places.
● If you pick up something that has been dropped
  • Report it to the nearest police station or police box.
  • If picked up while riding or in a department store, please take it to the nearest clerk or person in charge.
  • Don`t forget to pick up a `claim tag` (proof that you picked it up) when you submit it.
● If your lost item is recovered by someone else
  • Thank the person who picked it up for you. According to law, you are obligated to pay them 5-20% of the value of the item.
● Reporting that you`ve lost something
  • “Gaijin Touroku Shomeisho” or “Foreigner ID Card`”is lost: pick up a “funshitsu shomei” or a “lost form at the police station, fill it out, and deliver it to the City Office.
  • If a Passport is lost: pick up a `funshitsu shomei` at the police station and deliver it to your nearest consulate or embassy.
  • If a Credit Card is lost: contact the issuing company.
  • If a Cash Card is lost: contact the issuing company. If the issuing company is Japanese, the card can be canceled by contacting a bank or post office.

Neyagawa Shiritsu Shimin-Kaikan
41-1 Hada-cho Neyagawa-shi
Zip code:572-0848
TEL: (072)811-5935
FAX: (072)811-5936

Closed:Sunday, Monday & holiday

京阪寝屋川市駅(東口) から、

【 広 告 】


■ 個人会員
■ 団体会員
■ 賛助団体