Guide for Foreigners Living in Neyagawa
6. Illness・Health
1 Medical Insurance Plans
  • Individuals who live in Japan for over one year are required to enroll in some form of a medical insurance plan.
  • There are two medical insurance plans: Social Health Insurance and National Health Insurance.
  • When you enroll, you will receive a health insurance card.
  • When you receive treatment at a hospital or clinic, show the card, and you are only required to pay 35% of the medical expenses.
1. Social Insurance (Shakai-Hoken)
  • If employed by a company, you and your family are eligible for enrollment in the Shakai-hoken plan. Application and payment can be done at your place of employment.
※Foreign medical insurance can not be used in Japan.
For Information
Your Employer 
Hirakata Social Insurance Office 072-846-5011

2. National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken)
Persons who are ineligible for social insurance and have decided to live in Japan for more than one year must enroll in the National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken) plan, which, in Neyagawa, is administered by the City.

●If you have decided to live in Japan for more than one year, apply at the Insurance Affairs Office (in the City Office.) (072-824-1181). Take your Foreigner Registration Card.
※You must apply for insurance from the day you register as a foreign resident in Japan. If you do not, you will be required to back-pay to when you first became a resident of Japan

● Payment of Health Insurance Premium
  • Insurance premiums are calculated for a one-year period based on your previous year`s income.
  • The premium is paid in ten installments throughout the year, from June until March (April and May are the exceptions.)
Methods of Payment
  1. Automatic withdrawal from your bank or post office account.
  2. Take the payment slip and pay directly at the bank, post office, convenience store, city office or branch office.
For Information
Neyagawa Insurance Affairs Office 072-824-1181

●Health Insurance Certificate (Card)
  • Only one health insurance card is issued per family.
  • When visiting a hospital or clinic, make sure to take this card with you.
  • When traveling in Japan, take your insurance card with you as it can be used at any hospital or clinic nationwide. (However, it cannot be used overseas.)
※ Cautionary Information Concerning Your Card
  • It is against the law to lend, borrow, buy or sell a health insurance card to or from another person.
  • If you change your place of residence, you must notify the city office. You will be issued a new card by mail.
  • Invalid or expired health insurance cards cannot be used. You can request a new card from the City Office. You will receive a new card days before your old card expires in the mail.
  • If you enroll in the social health insurance plan, or move out of Neyagawa, you must return your card to the Neyagawa Insurance Affairs Office.
●Health Insurance can not be used to reduce the amount owed in the following instances:
  • In foreign countries
  • Normal pregnancy or childbirth
  • General health check-ups, cosmetic dentistry and preventative vaccinations
  • Injury caused by fighting or other willful misconduct
●Health Insurance can not be used to reduce the amount owed in the following instances:
You will be required to pay the entire amount of the bill. However, you can file for a reimbursement by taking your receipt and statement to the city office or to your company. After examining your case, the office or your company will reimburse 70% of the total cost.

※Partial refunds for medical treatment overseas are available on a case-by-case basis. Inquire about this at the City Office.

Medical Expense Subsidy Scheme
This scheme provides a refund for the portion of your medical expenses that exceed the established limit(kogakuryoyohi) Several months after you received treatment, you will receive notification from the city office based on where you can apply for a refund.

※Please make sure not to lose the receipt you receive at the hospital.
For Information
Neyagawa Insurance Affairs Office  072-824-1181

2 Medical Insurance Subsidy
●For individuals with low income
If your income is lower than the designated standard, you can apply for lawful reduction to reduce 20%-70% your insurance premium.
For Information
Neyagawa Insurance Affairs Office 072-824-1181

3 In Case of Illness
●Hospitals and Clinics
  • Outpatient hours vary, but most hospital and clinics take patients in the morning from Monday through Saturday. There are no consultations on Sundays or holidays.
  • In case of emergency, call an ambulance.(?119)
  • Generally, medicines prescribed by doctors do not have English explanations, so please listen carefully to the instructions when receiving your prescription.
  • After Hours or on Sundays and holidays, please go to the emergency hospitals and clinics.
Municipal Health & Welfare Center Clinic 072-828-3931
Open on Sundays, Holidays, and Dec.30-Jan.4
Hours: 9:30~11:30 12:30~16:30
Departments: Internal medicine, Pediatrics, Dentistry
Kitakawachi After-Hours Emergency Center 072-821-3003
Hours: 20:30~0:30 open throughout the year
Departments: Pediatrics (under 15-year-old)

4 Medical Check-up
Medical check-ups are occasionally held at the Health & Welfare Center available to the public at little or no cost. Information about dates and times can be found in the Neyagawa Bi-Monthly Bulletin, and on postcards that the city occasionally mails out to residents.
Regular Examinations are highly recommended as they can prevent you from getting ill, and sometimes can pick up signs of illness in the early stages.

For more information, take a look at the Neyagawa Bi-Monthly Bulletin or contact the following.
For Information
Health Development Division
Health & Welfare Center 072-824-1181

Neyagawa Shiritsu Shimin-Kaikan
41-1 Hada-cho Neyagawa-shi
Zip code:572-0848
TEL: (072)811-5935
FAX: (072)811-5936

Closed:Sunday, Monday & holiday

京阪寝屋川市駅(東口) から、

【 広 告 】


■ 個人会員
■ 団体会員
■ 賛助団体