Guide for Foreigners Living in Neyagawa
10. Tax・Pension・Insurance
1 Tax
Like all Japanese, foreign residents are required to pay various taxes including: income taxes, city taxes, consumer taxes, vehicle taxes, and fixed property taxes.
●Income tax
This is a tax imposed on your personal income. If you are employed, your employer will draw a certain amount of tax from your monthly salary and pay it for you.

※If you retire from your company in the middle of the year, get a withholding slip from your employer.
※Those who suffered financially due to medical treatment or because of a disaster are able to have their income tax partially refunded by filling out an income tax return.
※What is a Yearend Adjustment? (Nenmatsu Chosei)
 A certain amount of tax is deducted from your monthly income. The total amount deducted from income and the actual total amount of tax you are required to pay may not necessarily equal. In which case the difference, or amount adjusted, is called a “Yearend Adjustment.” Your employer will calculate the yearend adjustment and let you know whether you owe more money, or if the government owes you money.
●City Tax
The City Tax is a local tax that is based on your income from the preceding year (in other words, during your first year in Japan, you will not receive a city tax bill.) It is delivered by mail in the summer and may be paid in installments, or in a single lump sum, before January 1st.
●Consumer Tax
There is a 5% consumer tax imposed on the cost of buying goods and services throughout Japan.
●Public Pension Schemes
There are three public pension schemes: Employees’ Pension Insurance, the National Pension and the Mutual Aid Pension (only for public service personnel.) All public pension schemes are administered by the national government. All persons over the age of 20 living in Japan must enroll in one of these pension insurance schemes, even if you join a private corporate pension scheme as well.

Pensions are granted in the following cases:
  1. Social security for the elderly (old-age pension)
  2. Social security for the sick and handicapped (handicapped persons’ pension)
  3. Social security for the bereaved family (pension for thebereaved)
●Employees’ Pension Insurance Scheme
  • All company and factory employees, including foreign employees, must enroll in this pension scheme.
  • Japanese employees under the age of 20 can also enroll in this scheme. In principle, all persons working in Japan are required to pay a pension premium. At the age of 60, as long as you have been enrolled in the Employees’ Pension Insurance Scheme for over 25 years, you will be eligible to receive a pension. Your employer will arrange enrollment for you.
For Information:
Hirakata Social Insurance Office 072-846-5011
Osaka Social Insurance Office

●National Pension Scheme
This pension scheme is for all persons ineligible to enroll in the Employees’ Pension Insurance Scheme. Persons between the age of 20 and 59 are eligible to enroll. At the age of 65, as long as you have been enrolled in the National Pension Scheme for at least 25 years, you will be eligible to receive a pension. Registered foreign residents can also enroll in this scheme. If leaving Japan (within 25 years of enrolling) it is possible to withdraw from the pension scheme and receive a refund or lump-sum withdrawal oayment.
For Information:
City Office Citizens` Section 072-824-1181

●Lump-Sum Withdrawal Payments
All non-Japanese persons leaving Japan within 25 years of enrolling in a pension scheme are eligible to apply for the Lump-Sum Withdrawal Payment.

Necessary documents to file for the Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment:
  • A Claim Form (available from the Social Insurance Agency or the National Pension Section of the city office nearest you)
  • Pension Book (if you don’t have one, any necessary items must be filled out on the claim form)
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • A document verifying your bank details in your home country (bank name, branch, address and your account number in your name)
The above documents should be compiled and mailed to the following address:
The Social Insurance Agency Office 0570-05-1165
5-24 Takaido-Nishi 3-Chome, Suginami-ku, Tokyo 168-8505
3 Insurance
●Long-Term Care Insurance
Persons who are deemed eligible to receive nursing care services and are either over 65 years of age or are between the age of 40 and 64, and enrolled in a medical insurance plan, will receive care appropriate to their condition.
For Information:
Elderly Nursing Care Operation Office 072-838-0518

●Labor Insurance
Labor Insurance refers to the following two systems of insurance:
Worker’s Accident Compensation Insurance, a scheme for job-related accidents (commonly known as “Workers` Comp”), and Employment Insurance (Koyo-hoken), an insurance plan for the unemployed.
These systems provide the worker with financial assistance in case of absence from work due to a work-related accident, or unemployment. Both systems are administered by the national government.

1.Worker’s Accident Compensation Insurance
Worker’s Compensation Insurance provides the worker or the bereaved family with the compensations, in case of illness, injury or death incurred while working or while commuting to work.
For Information:
Kita-Osaka Labor Standards Inspection Office 072-845-1141
Osaka Labor Bureau

2.Employment Insurance
Employment Insurance provides an allowance to the unemployed worker for general living expenses while seeking stable employment.
For Information:
Hello Work Hirakata (Hirakata Public Job Placement Office) 072-841-3363

Neyagawa Shiritsu Shimin-Kaikan
41-1 Hada-cho Neyagawa-shi
Zip code:572-0848
TEL: (072)811-5935
FAX: (072)811-5936

Closed:Sunday, Monday & holiday

京阪寝屋川市駅(東口) から、

【 広 告 】


■ 個人会員
■ 団体会員
■ 賛助団体